If you're like me and having an urban Fourth of July weekend (which is lovely in its own right), here's a small way to bring a bit of the beach and campfires to your weekend or BBQ plans. I made these for the first time last year pretty randomly, and they are SO easy. You're basically just melting the ingredients of a s'more into an easily-transportable bark. S'mores have such an unmistakable flavor that they're an immediate bite of summer.
Enjoy and Happy Fourth!
Makes a 9x9 square
Prep time: About 20 min.
Refrigeration time: About 60 min.
3 4.25 ounce chocolate bars (e.g. large Hershey's bars), either milk or dark**
3/4 C mini marshmallows
3/4 C graham crackers broken into small pieces
1. Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper; paper will probably not lie down flat yet, which is fine.
2. Crumble the graham crackers into small pieces, but not letting them get completely powdery.
3. Break the chocolate into small pieces in a glass bowl, and microwave for two to three minutes, until melted, stirring half-way through.
4. Once chocolate is melted, add in about a half cup of each the mini marshmallows and graham crackers (leaving the rest for the top) into the glass bowl, and stir until everything is coated with chocolate.
5. Pour the mixture into the parchment paper-lined pan, and smooth out with a spatula so that mixture goes to edges of pan. Hold down the parchment paper in corners so that the liquid spreads to edges of pan.
6. Pour remaining marshmallows and graham crackers over top of bark.
7. Refrigerate for about an hour, until chocolate is completely cooled and solid.
8. Using a large knife, chop bark into equally-sized squares.
**I like a mix of milk and dark, and used two dark and one milk this time