Sunday, September 26, 2010

Food Philosophies, or Why I Named the Blog “A Grounded Table”



Most people approach what they eat with some frame of reference or philosophy: eating the right kind of food can help you lose weight or avoid cancer, buying organic food will help save the environment, eating animals is morally wrong, or food is just meant to be enjoyed.

Policy school graduate that I am, I think that I’ve always been a little bit of a dork about “impacts,” so ever since I started cooking I’ve taken a somewhat scholarly approach. But a lot of different ideas have floated around in my head, and I haven’t had a chance to look at things in much depth, especially as they relate to actual cooking and recipes (I wrote some very long papers about agricultural food prices in grad school that I preeetty much understood, but it can be hard to connect that back to what you’re eating that night).

And so even though I’ve been posting recipes on the blog so far, one of the reasons that I wanted to start this was to give myself a chance to research and sort through different food philosophies and see what I thought. In particular, I’ll focus on those related to conscientious eating, meaning considering the environmental, social, and economic factors of one’s food choices. So I’ll plan to interrupt the recipes every so often with a food policy-related post, although hopefully tying some of what I find with specific recipes. This is also the line of thinking behind the title of this blog; trying to ground cooking in a philosophy of conscientious choices considering the role agriculture and food play in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment