Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Ginger Beer Vodka with Bitters

I love the day or two right before a holiday, when things start to wind down and there's a sense of anticipation about a break. Today was one of those days, which warranted a last-full-day-of-work cocktail tonight.


This is one of those recipes that is derived out of trying to use certain ingredients, with fun results: a friend from work gave me some homemade bitters recently, and I'd been trying to think of something to make with them that wasn't a Manhattan, basically, since I'm not very cocktail literate, and that's the only cocktail recipe I know that has bitters in it! I love ginger beer, and through some searching, found this recipe, which I think is basically a modification on a Moscow Mule.

While not really a seasonal drink, the spiciness of the bitters and tanginess of the ginger give this a really interesting kick, which is balanced out by it also being really refreshing.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Loft a Better Mule (official name)

1 half lemon
1.5 - 2 ounces vodka
4-6 ounces ginger beer
1 ounce ginger liqueur
1 dash bitters
Optional: slice of lemon

Squeeze lemon into a chilled glass. Add vodka, ginger liqueur, and the bitters, and then fill with cold ginger beer. Garnish with slice of lemon (optional). Stir with stirring stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment