Saturday, December 13, 2014

Personality Grid

In my photography class this fall, one of our assignments was to do a "personality grid," a grid of different photos of the same person showing different personalities, while keeping the same basic frame on the person. 

You can tell the weather was a bit warmer when I took these of my friend on her front stoop while we had a glass of wine. We were supposed to use a prop, and I liked the idea of using wine since it's a natural thing for a person to be holding, and makes the result feel like these photos could have happened spur of the moment. In general, I really love the results of this, because it showcases so much more about a person than a single photograph.


If you're interested in doing some similar, you need to take quite a few more pictures that you end up using (I probably had about three times as many as ended up in the final product), and figure out a way to give the person direction on which mood to show. For me, the first part was asking someone who I thought would get a kick out of this, and then named off potential moods for her to personify as I took pictures.

Once I looked back at the photos I took of her, I decided to make this semi-focused on laughter (that counts as a mood, right?), since I had a lot of great ones of her cracking up, and also shows her sense of humor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment